What a year with so many furry highlights! Here is a great dog cake recipe to finish off the year with: my best ever mutt cake. It’s a great celebration cake to serve to the pups either raw or; as I have here, cooked it in the oven for 30 minutes. I actually froze it for convenience and defrosted to serve on Christmas Day for the doggos.
This dog cake recipe is laced with beautiful healing spices of cinnamon and nutmeg that have medicinal properties and I have snuck in my latest obsession: Neem leaf powder.
- Cinnamon: lowers sugar blood levels, antibacterial and antibacterial properties.
- Nutmeg: aids brain health, aids bad breathe, aids digestion, makes the skin and fur glow.
- Neem leaf powder: can assist with dogs that have fleas, ticks and intestinal worms and parasites or stomach upset. Promotes healthy skin and shiny fur and supports a healthy immune system. Please note: Neem leaf powder is certainly packed full of powerful goodness and should only be used in small quantities only.
I minced the free range chicken thighs in the thermomix.
Added some cooked brown rice and barley.
Vegetable and fruit pulp from the juicer.
Spices of nutmeg and cinnamon, along with neem leaf powder.
I picked some fresh herbs from the garden, and quickly minced them in the thermomix. Hand chopping would be fine or using a food processor would also work just as well.
- Sage – aids digestion and aids problems like gas and bloat.
- Rosemary – promotes shiny fur and brain health
- Parsley – aids fresh breath, full of vitamins A + C, powerful antioxidant
Mutt Cake Recipe:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3 small dogs: Dobby, Holly (not so small) and Ruben
400g free range chicken thigh – bone, skin removed and then minced.
90 g cooked barley and brown rice – cooled
60 g frozen mixed vegetables
55 g dried cranberries
85 g vegetable and fruit pulp (reserved from the juicer)
2 free range eggs
handful of fresh garden herbs (finely chopped)
1 Tbsp neem leaf powder (you’ll find in health food stores)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius
Spray a 15 cm loaf tin or preferred cake tin with oil or line with baking paper, set aside.
Combine the above ingredients and spoon into the prepared tin pressing down firmly, then bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until cooked.
Remove from oven allow to cool, then serve.
Or store covered in the fridge – will keep for 5 days.
This dog cake freezes extremely well. Seal tightly in glad wrap/freezer bag before freezing.
Enjoy and wishing everyone a wonderful 2019.